Sunghee Ballet Academy (SBA) offers a ballet program for all levels for students as well as classes for adults throughout the week. There are a total of 10 levels of ballet classes, including classes for beginners. Students will be placed in a level appropriate for both their age and level of physical and/or technical development. Placement within a level is subject to change solely at the discretion of the artistic director.
Ballet Academy Division
- PRE-BALLET: For ages 3-5 with little or no previous experience. Basic rhythm patterns and movement to music form the basis of this class. Stress is placed on the joy of dance and it becomes a creative outlet for the young child.
- Ballet Level 1: For ages 5-7 with little or no previous training. Primary ballet positions and terminology will be taught. Rhythm patterns are introduced along with the beginning fundamentals of ballet in a creative atmosphere.
- Ballet Level 2: For ages 8-11 with at least one year of serious study. Stress is placed on proper body alignment. Theory of body movement, alignment and terminology will be emphasized as live music is introduced. Students learn to couple ideas together to create movement within the classical frame work.
- Ballet Level 3: For ages 9-12 with at least two years of serious study, and are ready to begin Pointe work. This is a more in-depth study of ballet techniques, and it continues as a solid preparation for Pointe work.
- Ballet Level 4: For ages 11-14 with a minimum of 1 year of Pointe work. Classical variations are introduced.
- Ballet Level 5: For ages 12-15 with a minimum of 2-3 years of Pointe work, and have progressed to a greater technical proficiency and maturity in the classroom setting.
- Ballet Level 6: For ages 15-18 with a high intermediate and an advanced level, and have progressed to a greater technical proficiency. Performance training continues with emphasis placed on individual artistry.
- TEEN/ADULT BEGINNING BALLET: For teens and adults who have had little or no previous experience. Basic terminology and ballet fundamentals are taught in an enjoyable classroom atmosphere.
- TEEN/ADULT INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCE BALLET: For teens and adults with previous training who have progressed to a more involved level of study. Pointe classes are available for those interested.
Ballet Level Requirements
- PRE-BALLET: 1 technique class per week.
- BALLET LEVEL 1: 1-2 technique classes per week.
- BALLET LEVEL 2: 2-3 technique classes and 1 Pointe class per week.
- BALLET LEVEL 3: 2-3 technique classes and 2 Pointe classes per week.
- BALLET LEVEL 4: 2-3 technique classes and 2-3 Pointe classes per week.
- BALLET LEVEL 5: 3-4 technique classes and 3-4 Pointe classes per week.
- BALLET LEVEL 6: 3-4 technique classes and 3-4 Pointe classes per week.