- Students will be placed in a level appropriate for both their age and level of physical and/or technical development.
- Placement within a level is subject to change solely at the discretion of the artistic director.
- All students must be 3-4 years old on the first day of class for Creative Movement, and students must be 5 years old by the first day of classes to be eligible for Pre-Ballet.
- Students must be 7 years old by the first day of classes (if younger must have administration’s permission) and have had prior experience to be enrolled in Ballet Level 1.
- Ballet Level Requirements
- Creative Movement & Pre-Ballet: Students are required to take 1-2 technique classes per week
- Ballet Level 1: 1-2 technique classes per week are required.
- Ballet Level 2: 2-3 technique classes per week are required.
- Ballet Level 3: 3-4 technique classes per week including 1-2 Pointe classes are required.
- Ballet Level 4: 5-6 technique classes per week including 2-3 Pointe classes are required.
- Ballet Level 5: 7-8 technique classes per week including 3-4 Pointe classes are required.
- Ballet Level 6: 7-8 technique classes per week including 3-4 Pointe classes are required.
- Parent and students should not anticipate annual level advancements. Ballet classes do not progress at the same pace as traditional academic grades. It is common for students to repeat levels of study. Because the range of the criteria for promotion is so diverse, it may be two or more years before a student is ready for advancement to the next level of study.
- Advancement is based on many factors including a student’s strength, commitment, attendance, maturity, mastery of syllabus at grade level, and artistic development as assessed by the teachers and artistic director.
- A student’s ability to execute the required material is considered above all else, including age. Advancement to the next level may occur at anytime during the semester, but is generally determined at the end of each school year.
- Attendance is critical to consistent progress and advancement in the Academy. Steady progress requires full participation in the class in which a student is registered. Students are requested to make every attempt to commit fully to their classes.
- It is essential that students come to class on time. Late arrival does not allow a student sufficient time to warm up, may cause injuries and disrupts class concentration. Students more than ten minutes late to any class will be asked to sit and observe.
- If a child is injured and unable to participate in class, an excused absence from class requires that the student sit and observe class or rehearsal. Students or their families must report all absences to the Academy prior to class time in order to be excused.
- It is essential that parents pick up their children on time. If an instructor waits more than fifteen minutes after class for a student to be picked up at the end of the day, the family will be charged $20 as a late pick up fee. It is also necessary to call the front desk in the case of an emergency or a late pick up situation.
III. INJURIES & ACCIDENTS
All student injuries and accidents in and out of ballet class must be reported promptly to the instructors. The academy staff will document the student’s condition and any medical guidelines for activity.
IV. DRESS CODE
- Dress Code is designed to encourage discipline among our students. Students not meeting the required dress code will be restricted from participation in class.
- In keeping with classical ballet tradition, Sunghee Ballet Academy has implemented a full dress code by level.
- LEOTARD: Every student will be required to have a camisole style leotard in their level color. Leotards may not have any crisscrossed back straps, decorations, attached skirts, shirring, contrasting trim or colors, lace or mesh, zippers or halter styles.
- Pre-Ballet: Bloch – Child Tank Leotard (White)
- Ballet Level 1 and 2: Capezio – Girls V-Back Camisole Leotard (White)
- Ballet Level 3: Capezio – Adult Camisole Leotard w/”V” back (Burgundy)
- Ballet Level 4: Capezio – Adult Camisole Leotard w/”V” back (Burgundy)
- Ballet Level 5 and 6: Wear Moi – Adult “Diane” Camisole Leotard (Black)
- Teen/Adult Ballet: Black Leotard
- TIGHTS: Bloch – Child or Adult “Endura” Convertible Tights (Pink)
- BALLET SHOES: Pink ballet slippers with sewn elastic. Drawstrings must be tucked in.
- Pre-Ballet, Ballet Level 1, 2, and 3: Sansha – Child “Star Split” Canvas Split-Sole Ballet Shoes (Pink)
- Ballet Level 4, 5, and 6: Sansha – “#1 Pro” Canvas Split-Sole Ballet Shoes (Ballet Pink)
- POINTE SHOES: All shoes must have sewn ribbons, and strings or torn material hanging off the tips must be removed.
- HAIR: Hair should be pulled away from the face and neck in a high or low bun. Short hair may be pinned back from the face. No swinging ponytails. Moderate hair decorations such as small bows or flowers may be worn.
- JEWELRY: No jewelry except for post earrings.
- WARM-UP CLOTHES: No warm up clothes or skirts may be worn in class.
- BOYS: Black or Capri length tights, plain white t-shirt, black ballet shoes with sewn elastics, and white socks
V. PAYMENT POLICIES
- The annual registration fee is $40 for new student and $30 for the returning student and is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Parents must sign a registration/tuition agreement upon enrollment.
- Monthly tuition is due in full on the 1st day of each month with a $15.00 late fee automatically applied if not received on time.
- Make checks payable to Sunghee Ballet Academy or Sunghee, and include your child’s name on the check for easier processing.
- Sibling Discount: A discount of tuition and performance fee will be given to the 2nd and 3rd siblings whose tuition is equal to or less than the initial family member.
- 25% discount for 2nd sibling
- 50% discount for 3rd sibling
- Students may join mid-session at the discretion of the Artistic Director, Sunghee Han and will have their monthly tuition amount prorated.
- There is a $30.00 returned (bounced) check fee.
- REFUND POLICIES:
- There are NO REFUNDS of the registration fee and monthly tuition.
- There are NO REFUNDS for missed classes. Students may take make up classes in the level below their enrolled within the same month.
- In the event of a prolonged illness or injury, a doctor’s release is required to obtain tuition credit for a future session.
- In the event of class cancellation due to low enrollment, a refund or credit will be issued.
- A limited number of merit based scholarships are granted on a year-by-year or session-by-session basis for eligible students as available.
- BOYS: A 50% discount of tuition and performance fee will be given as scholarship for students in Level 1 & up.
- All scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the Artistic Director, Sunghee Han, and are valid for the current year only.
- Referral Program: Students who refer SBA to others will receive tuition discount as much as 20% of their referrals’ monthly tuition as long as their referrals are enrolled in classes.
VI. Academy GENERAL INFORMATION
- The facilities will be closed on the holidays. Please be sure to check the bulletin boards and the website for specific days, as well as announcements about class changes.
- The buildings can be closed when the severe weather conditions prevail. Students are advised to check the website or call the studio.
- The lobby is a place of business for Sunghee Ballet Academy. Please observe this area as a quiet zone. Students and parents are asked to wait for class in the lobby area quietly.
- Students must take all of their belongings into class with them or place them in the cubbies located in the dress room. Sunghee Ballet Academy is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- All Students must remain inside Sunghee Ballet Academy. We cannot assure the safety of students who linger outside the facility after drop off or awaiting pick up by their parents.
- Food and drinks are restricted to the lobby area. Students are responsible for the disposal of their garbage and are expected to treat the facilities, furniture and equipment with respect.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- Presidents Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- It is the responsibility of each student to check the bulletin board before and after each class. Parents need to check posted information for younger students.
- Schedules, including changes and important notices, are posted on the bulletin board in the hall and on the website at www.SBAballet.com.
LOST & FOUND
- The front desk assistant can inform students where lost and found items are stored. Sunghee Ballet Academy is not held responsible for any items lost or stolen.
- Registration forms for all programs include an agreement which gives Sunghee Ballet Academy permission to take photos of students in classes and/or performances to use for purposes of promoting the programs.
- Recording classes using tape recorders, cameras or video recorders is strictly prohibited.
- The academy staff is not able to relay messages to students except in the case of emergency. Cell phones must be turned off when entering the studios.
- It is the policy of Sunghee Ballet Academy to maintain a positive and productive learning and working environment for all students, staff, and dancers. As part of their training, students are expected to behave in a responsible and disciplined manner and to adhere to the rules and regulations in this document, both inside the Sunghee Ballet Academy facility and outside in the greater community when representing the Sunghee Ballet Academy.
- Sunghee Ballet Academy strives to ensure that all rules are clear and reasonable, and students are expected to observe the established Code of Conduct. Sunghee Ballet Academy reserves the right to suspend or dismiss any student whose conduct or attitude is found to be unsatisfactory.
- Students participating in the following actions/activities will be subject to disciplinary action, which may include: Dismissal from class, suspension, probationary measures, or referral to counseling.
- Physical intimidation or injury
- Verbal abuse
- Sexual harassment
- Possession of drugs and/or alcohol
- Smoking: Sunghee Ballet Academy is a non-smoking facility.
- Firearms or weapons of any kind
- Self-destructive behavior
- Willful destruction or misuse of ballet or another person’s property
Sunghee Ballet Academy admits students of any race, color, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin in administration of its education policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs or any other programs.